36. Dogville (2003)




Roger's Rating :


Should be :



Lars von Trier's tale of the people of Dogville set somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. I don't think Lars is a happy camper and he kind of likes spreading his misery around, so this movie is not for all people. It is sad, depressing and slow but I also thought it was fascinating and a great piece of film making.
Roger didn't like it too much and only gave it 2 stars. He said in his review "There is potential in the concept of the film, but the execution had me tapping my wristwatch to see if it had stopped. Few people will enjoy seeing it once and, take it from one who knows, even fewer will want to see it a second time."
I'm a little stunned by that. I think Roger underestimates the people who read his reviews. Although the movie was slow moving I still thought it was a great watch. As good as it was as drama, it was equally good as a mystery. It takes a long time to figure out what is going on. It was one of those movies that as soon as I finished watching it I wanted to see it again. It was different, experimental, brave and it all worked for me.
The movie has a 7.9 rating on IMDB and a 71% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Not for all tastes but very rewarding for people who enjoy thinking about movies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm afraid I agree with Roger on this one. Not surprising there would be a big variation in opinion what with the minimalism chosen for sets. Not even on the level of a well executed play. I found the movie unwatchable due to its slow pace, and there was nothing else other than the dialog to hold my interest.


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews