23. The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle (2000)




Roger's Rating :


Should be :
1/2 Star

I love movies. There really aren't many movies that I have seen in my life that I haven't liked, but this was definitely one of them. And I wasn't alone : this movie has a 4.1 rating on IMDB (that is really, really low) and a 43% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Roger says in his review :
Comedy is such a fragile art form. "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle" isn't necessarily any more brilliant or witty or inventive than all the other recent retreads of classic cartoons and old sitcoms. But it feels like more fun. From time to time I'm reminded of George C. Scott's Rule No. 3 for judging movie acting: "Is there a joy of performance? Can you tell that the actors are having fun?" This time, you can. There's a word for this movie, and that word is: jolly.
Jolly? I really must have missed something, but I am never, ever going to watch this again to try to find it. I've suffered enough.
Bad dialogue, worst jokes, Robert De Niro's worst performance (on IMDB it was ranked 73 out of the 74 movies he has made. Sam's Song from 1969 was the only one rated lower.).... the list goes on.
I'll bet it's the only movie on IMDB that doesn't have a run time listed (believe me I checked several times). Could it be that no one ever made it all the way through the whole movie? And I liked this cartoon when I was young - it's a crime what they did to it.
Roger, believe it or not, gave this disaster 3 stars. You can see his At The Movies Review (here)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually agree with Roger Ebert! This movie is funny, charming & very enjoyable! I'll give this film ★★★ out of ★★★★ too!

Unknown said...

Jack, listen, I don't mean to complain and I am sorry to do this, but with all due respect why have you done this? I respond 8 years later, but hear me out. You're blogging judging somebody's "bad" reviews and assuming what their opinion about what a movie should be.

We're all different, and if you're going into a movie theater not knowing how people already feel about a film, it's sometimes not as easy to judge what most people will think. Thus, it makes it easier for that person to give a more expressive opinion about a film without having to rely on the rest of the audience. And, frankly, I feel like that's what you are doing a little bit.

As long as a person has his or her reasons about why they may seem to be against the general public about a film, and that those reasons are either fair, justified or both, that person should be given respect for all those reviews that fit this. Plus, the reviews of a film critic must explain the facts when it comes convenient to and explain them correctly. And both of these are, in most of his reviews, what Roger did.

You're allowed to have any opinion you want about a film, Jack, but I don't feel this is fair and seems directly disrespectful to Roger and the passion he's had for movies through those opinions he's made. And, at times, it feels and sounds like you are dismissing him for it.

You made the remark saying that nobody's perfect, not even Roger, and you're right! The world isn't perfect, and that's the beauty of it. What's not the beauty is that it sounds like, based on what you said here in the little box on the right along with the blogs themselves, you're saying that a person is perfect as long as they share the same opinion about, for example, a film with what the general public (and you) thinks. I don't know if you're joking or not, but even this sounds a tad insulting. Please, consider all of what I am saying to you.

Have you done this with other film critics as well. Did you only target Roger because he is the most well known film critic of all time? If I was to, for example, surpass Roger's fame as a film critic and give a positive review to a film most people don't like, are you going to call me out for my taste of film and opinion about it?

Now, personally, I gave The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle 2.5/4 stars. I actually thought it was okay. While I do give it thumbs down, like most people, I did like a lot of elements in it. De Niro's delivery got a good laugh at times and even the corny jokes they said. Jason Alexander was even a little amusing at times to me. The animation on Bullwinkle looked good, but I felt it could have been a little more polished on Rocky. I really like the first 10 minutes of the movie. I do feel scenes are a little out of order, however. As in, the movie feels a little unorganized. But even then, you have to agree it's better than other movies based on a cartoon (The Smurfs, Garfield, Yogi Bear etc).

My recommendation for you is to make your own blogs about your opinions of movies instead. All entirely based on your own movie opinions. Give your own reviews about movies, please! Wouldn't you want to become famous for it?

Unknown said...

While I do have a lot of respect for you in doing this, and I couldn't have done a better job myself, I feel maybe you could do something with this. The amount of passion you put into these blogs deserves more recognition, and it would be cool if you were to be recognized for something better. Like I said, becoming a film critic specifically. By the way, you do not have to approve of my comment(s), I thought I would tell you out of consideration.


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews