51. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)




Roger's Original Rating :


Should be :


In Roger's original review he only gave this great movie three stars. Roger liked the movie, but he said in his review "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is probably 30 minutes too long, but it's filled with good stuff like that for those who treasure Westerns."

In retrospect I don't think Roger thinks it was thirty minutes too long. In 2003 he named it as one of his Great Movies. He said in that review "I saw it sitting in the front row of the balcony of the Oriental Theatre, whose vast wide screen was ideal for Leone's operatic compositions. I responded strongly, but had been a movie critic less than a year, and did not always have the wisdom to value instinct over prudence. Looking up my old review, I see I described a four-star movie but only gave it three stars, perhaps because it was a 'spaghetti Western' and so could not be art."

Whether you are a movie critic, a historian, a carpenter, an actor - if you are good at what you do you will get better the longer you work at it. Roger, like all of us, became better at his job as he gained more experience. I'm just glad that he is willing to admit to some of his mistakes. Now, if we can just get him to review A Clockwork Orange again.

No comments:


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews