48. Domino (2005)



Roger's Rating :


Should be :



I love Tony Scott's True Romance, and I'm a big fan of both Mickey Rourke and Christopher Walken- throw in a story about bounty hunters and Keira Knightley - it looks like this movie can't miss - but it did. Just the dialogue in the first five minutes told me this was going to be a long two hours.
The movie is based on the life of Domino Harvey, the daughter of actor Lawrence Harvey, fashion model turned bounty hunter : it should have been good.
But voiceovers, the quick jump cuts, flashy special effects, the ridiculous rap lyrics -none of it worked for me. Short on plot, and even shorter on writing and acting. Roger compared Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang unfavorably to this movie, which is really hard to believe. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was sharp, witty and funny; this movie was just sad.
When Domino gives a guy a lap dance to get out of a tight spot I thought the movie must have hit bottom, but unfortunately we were only thirty minutes in.
If you read Roger's review you can see he thinks it's a mess but he still gives it 3 stars. He says "But the damned thing has its qualities, and one of them is a headlong, twisting energy, a vitality that finds comedy in carnage." I somehow missed the comedy.
In his At The Movies review Roger said "This movie will either drive you mad or you will like it." It didn't drive me mad, but I didn't like it either. It has a 5.9 rating on IMDB and 18% on Rotten Tomatoes. I thought both ratings were too high.

No comments:


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews