34. Black Robe (1991)




Roger's Rating :


Should be :


Roger gave this great Canadian movie a thumbs down in his review. He says in his review "Black Robe is a film of enormous interest for those who care about the early history of Europeans in North America, but for ordinary moviegoers it will be very tough going."
I think Roger liked the movie but felt the general film going public was too dumb to appreciate it. His job is to tell you whether he thinks you will like it and he doesn't think most people will, because he thinks it is too dark and depressing.
I understand that but I can't see how such a great movie, perhaps the most realistic view of native American life presented on the screen, can be given a thumbs down. I didn't find the movie depressing. I thought it was really interesting to see what life was like in the early days of North American settlement. I think if more kids saw movies like this, instead of movies like Transformers, they would know much more about their history.
I think Roger should have said: "You may not like this movie, but you should, because there is a lot that you can learn from it, even though it is realistic and depressing" (Roger would have said it better).
It has a 7.2 on IMDB and a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.

No comments:


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews