6. Caddyshack (1980)

caddy



Roger's Rating :


Should be :

Roger only gave this great movie 2 and a half stars. That is a real slap from someone who hands out 3 stars to movies like Curly Sue and Boomerang. Roger thinks the movie is all over the place, and it is. It is supposed to be. Did the W.C. Field's or Marx brothers' movies have cohesive plots? I don't think this movie is at the level of those classics but I do think it is pretty good. It is many peoples favorite sports' movie.
Roger says, "Chevy Chase, for example, has some wonderful moments in this movie, as a studiously absent-minded hedonist who doesn't even bother to keep score when he plays golf. He's good, but somehow he's in the wrong movie: His whimsy doesn't fit with Dangerfield's blatant scenery-chewing or with the Bill Murray character. Murray, as a slob who goes after gophers with explosives and entertains sexual fantasies about the women golfers, could be a refugee from Animal House." (Here is a link to his original review). I think that this is what makes the movie so special. It goes from one very funny skit to another. The background story isn't really good, but who cares?
I think the dialogue from the movie best shows how good it is. Here are a few samples.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandy: I want you to kill every gophers on the golf course!
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...
Sandy: Not golfers, you great fool! Gophers! The little brown, furry rodents!
Carl Spackler: We can do that; we don't even have to have a reason. All right, let's do the same thing, but with gophers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Czervik: Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must've been something before electricity.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl Spackler: Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl Spackler: This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ty Webb: Just be the ball, be the ball, be the ball. You're not being the ball Danny.
Danny Noonan: It's hard when you're talking like that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ty Webb: Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left.

I'd give this movie three stars just for the Dali Lama joke alone. I know that golfers really love this movie, and I am a golfer, but I think everyone else should appreciate it too.







1 comment:

TheAnonymousBlogger1999 said...

Roger missed the mark here, this was a good comedy. He didn’t like this movie, but liked Paul Blart? What?


Roger's Facebook Post

Roger's Twitter

Total Pageviews